Wednesday, March 7, 2012

How Do You Read?

2012 is the National Year of Reading - an initiative designed to promote the joy, value, and importance of regular reading.  As a result we have a number of initiatives under way to help our students become immersed in good books/stories.

I am quite fortunate that both of my children are avid readers.  I am also very aware that as they approach their teenage years the challenge of maintaining their love of reading will arise.  Recently I have been using the Kindle Touch to re-ignite my son's passion for reading.


I know that many people like the feel of a book in their hands when they are reading.  I also know many people who felt that way until they tried an e-reader - my son being one of them.  The reasons I like e-readers are:

  • no more trips to the book store looking through a limited range - when using a Kindle you have access to Amazon's huge selection of e-books
  • no more waiting for books to arrive in the mail - e-books are downloaded to your e-reader in seconds
  • the built in dictionary - when you come across a word that is unfamiliar you can simply put your finger on the word and it will bring up the dictionary meaning for you (great for increasing the vocabulary of young readers)
  • you can take an entire collection of books with you wherever you go
If you are lucky enough to have an avid teenage reader you might find an e-reader is a helpful tool for feeding their voracious reading appetite.  If you have a reluctant teenage reader, you may find that an e-reader can help them to rediscover their love of the written word.  Whatever you use, take every opportunity to help your children enjoy reading and engage with good stories.

2 comments:

  1. I read on my eReader, because I don't have too much spare time, only on my way to work and I can't carry printed books with me. But when I'm home, I love reading them, because the feeling is not the same. It's great that we can find sites like All you can books, where we can download so many interesting electronic books and only with one click.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing how you read Diana. I agree that using a combination of physical books and e-books is probably a good way to go. I think it is important for adults to model regular reading, whatever their preferred mode is. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete